Before applying to the Multiple Subject Credential Program, you must attend a mandatory overview where detailed information is provided about program options and the application process. The overview is approximately an hour and a half in length. No RSVP is necessary for an in-person or online overview.
To access our live online overviews, please follow the following steps.
1. Download the free Zoom program. Your user name should be your first and last name.
2. You may access the online overview.
3. Test your camera and microphone before the overview begins to ensure it is fully functioning.
4. Find a quiet and comfortable space with little or no distractions (for yourself as well as the other participants -- i.e. pets, driving, restaurants/cof
We recommend parking in the Eastside Parking Structure off of Folino Drive. Be sure to allow plenty of time to find parking and to walk to the overview location. You may pay for parking by the hour at the kiosks in the parking structures. We recommend paying for a minimum of 2 hours of parking. Overviews begin on time. Late attendees will be asked to return to attend the overview in full.
5. Log in to the Zoom session five minutes prior the overview scheduled start time.
6. DO NOT log in to the meeting after the start time, as this is distracting to all participants and you will not receive credit for attending the overview. If you are unable to log in by the start of the meeting, please plan to attend at a time in which you can attend the entire meeting.
7. To receive credit for attendance of the in-person overview, all participants must stay to the end, at which time you will verify your attendance. The meeting is approximately 1-1.5 hours in length.
Application and supporting documents must be submitted by the following deadlines. Prerequisite courses may be in progress at time of application deadline, however, they must be complete before the start of the program.
The following deadlines only apply to those who are applying to the credential only or combined program. For those applying to take prerequisites, the deadline is listed on Cal State Apply.
|Completed Files Submitted by||Interview||Decision Notification|
|November 30||January||February 28|
|January 31||February||March 30|
|February 28||March||April 30|
|Completed Files Submitted by||Interview||Decision Notification|
|August 31||September||October 31|
|September 30||October||November 30|
Applicants who are planning to apply for financial aid should not wait until admission is granted. Apply for financial aid as soon as possible.
The following three prerequisite courses must be passed prior to the beginning of the program.
1. Child or Human Development (approved CSUF courses: CAS 101, CAS 312, CAS 315, CAS 325A & CAS 325B, OR PSYC 361)
2. Introduction to Elementary Classroom Teaching (approved CSUF course: EDEL 315). Applicant must have received a grade of “B-” or better.
3. Cultural Pluralism in Elementary Schools (approved CSUF course: EDEL 325). Must be taken at a 4-year university. Applicant must have received a g rade of “B-” or better.
Click here for more information regarding our prerequisite courses.
If you attended another college or university other than CSUF and took courses similar to the prerequisites, please check our course equivalency chart to see whether your class is listed. Courses must have been taken for a letter grade. Pass/No Pass courses are not accepted. Equivalent courses must have been taken within 5 years of applying to the program.
Petitions will need to be submitted for courses that are
- not on the Course Equivalency Chart that may still satisfy the requirements, OR
- on the chart but were taken over 5 years prior to applying to the program
Petition forms for each course can be found below. Petition decisions are released 4-6 weeks after the petition has been submitted.
The following documents must be submitted before an application is considered complete. Only complete files are reviewed for admission into the program. Please view our MSCP Application Checklist for more information on each document.
For secured file types (i.e., official PDF transcripts, CBEST, CSET results): If you are having trouble uploading the document to your application, you may print out the document, scan it, and upload the new file to your application. For official transcripts, it is fine if the printed document has a "Copy" watermark.
Official transcripts are required from every college and university attended (including community colleges) and must be opened and uploaded into your application.
Non-CSUF students must also send an additional set of official transcripts to the CSUF Office of Admissions
. If you attended CSUF as an undergraduate student, the Office of Admissions will have those transcripts on file.
- Accredited Degree – Ensure your B.A. or B.S. degree is from a regionally accredited university by the CTC. The university must be accredited during the years in which you earned your degree.
- For applicants who are international students or obtained a bachelor's degree outside of the United States, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Certificate of Clearance or 30-Day Sub Permit, which must remain valid throughout the program. Information on applying for a Certificate of Clearance can be found here .
- Negative TB test results, which can include a TB skin test, risk assessment questionnaire, or chest x-ray. Your document must show the date the test was read. Test results are valid for 4 years and must remain valid throughout the program.
- Proof of overview attendance via a screenshot of the follow-up email received after attending the overview.
- Program application fee receipt, which is separate from the Cal State Apply fee. The program application fee can be paid here .
- CBEST or Basic Skills Requirement results must be passed and uploaded to your application in order for your application to be considered complete. For more information on the CBEST or BSR, please click here . To register for the CBEST, please click here .
- Multiple Subject CSET results must be passed and uploaded to your application in order for your application to be considered complete. All three subtests must be passed prior to submitting your application. To register for the Multiple Subject CSETs, please click here .
- Pre-program field experience form showing that 45 hours of fieldwork have been completed in a public, K-8, regular education setting (i.e., not an after school, summer, individual, or tutoring program). Fieldwork hours are most commonly completed concurrently with the Introduction to Elementary Classroom Teaching prerequisite course. If your form is from a different college or university, please verify that it is similar to the form used at CSUF, which can be found here . Applicants who have misplaced their forms will need to Pre-Program Field Experience Form and have it completed by the teacher who supervised them in the classroom.
Two faculty recommendations are required for both the credential only and combined program. Recommendations are completed online in the "Recommendations" section of Quadrant 4 of the application. Letters of recommendation are welcome, but two recommendation forms are still required.
- Credential only applicants: Applicants applying to the credential only program who have graduated over 4 years prior to the term they intend to begin the program are eligible to have a recommendation completed by an Alternative to Faculty, who may be a supervisor or employer.
- Combined applicants: Applicants applying to the combined program may not have recommendations completed by an Alternative to Faculty. Combined applicants must also include the following statement in the "Personal Message/Notes" box prior to submitting their recommendation requests: "In the Evaluator Comments, please address the applicant’s potential for success in master’s degree program.”
- CPR certification that includes Child and Infant (Pediatric) modules and meets the criteria of the American Heart Association (AHA) or the American Red Cross (ARC). CPR certification must remain valid until completion of the program.
- Proof of U.S. Constitution completion, whether through a passed college course, AP Government or U.S. History exam, or the U.S. Constitution exam. Graduation from a CSU fulfills this requirement. Non-CSU students may need to fulfill this requirement on their own.
- JEIE Admission Statement, which needs to be 1-2 double space pages in length. Click here for more information about JEIE, and here for the Admission Statement prompt.
After all required documents have been uploaded to Q4, the application is ready to be submitted. You will pay the $70 Cal State Apply fee upon submission of your application.
Visit the following links for more information regarding tuition, financial aid, and loan repayment options.
- Tuition and Fee Information
- Financial Aid
- CSUF College of Education Scholarships
- Federal Teacher Loan Forgiveness Program
- Teacher Recruitment Project Scholarship - The Teacher Recruitment Project provides information and funds to support Multiple Subject Credential Program candidates in adding an authorization to teach math or science in middle school. This year we anticipate awarding four to six $1500 scholarships (contingent on funding) to students targeting Spring 2020 or Fall 2020 admission to the Multiple Subject Credential Program. Please see the link for more information regarding qualifications.