Multiple Subject Credential Program Admissions
4/19/23 update: We are still accepting applications for our Fall 2023 Credential Only program.
Yearly rolling application deadlines are as follows:
FALL: Nov. 30th, Jan. 31st, & Feb. 28th
SPRING: Aug. 31st & Sept. 30th
Please note that the earlier you submit, the earlier you will receive an admissions decision.
You may submit an application after the final priority deadline, however, admission decisions will be prioritized for those who submit an application by the stated priority deadlines. If you submit an application after the last priority deadline, you will be placed on a waitlist and your application will be processed if a space becomes available. If you have any questions regarding this process prior to submitting an application, please email email@example.com .
1. ATTEND OVERVIEW WITH ADVISOR
New and prospective credential applicants are invited to attend an Overview with an advisor. During these group sessions, applicants will learn about the credential program options, admission criteria, and the application process. No reservation is required. Attendees receive a "Certificate of Attendance" upon completion of the Overview that they must submit if they apply to the program.
Who can attend?
- Anyone can attend an Overview, however, it is recommended that applicants plan to attend an overview at least 6-12 months ahead of when they intend to apply.
Where can I find Overview information?
- For upcoming dates and login, please look at MSCP Overviews on our OVERVIEW CALENDAR
- Please log in a few minutes before. Meeting will be locked after advertised start time. If you are unable to log in by the start of the meeting, please plan to attend at a time in which you can attend the entire meeting.
- To receive credit for attendance of the overview, all participants must stay to the end. At that time, participants will complete the Overview verification form. The meeting is approximately 1-1.5 hours in length.
2. COMPLETE PREREQUISITE COURSES
- There are four prerequisite courses.
- They can be in progress at the time your application is submitted, but must be completed before the start of the program.
- All prerequisite courses must be completed with a grade of "C-" or better.
|PREREQUISITE COURSE||CSUF COURSE(S)||ADDITIONAL INFO|
|1. Child or Human Development||CAS 101, CAS 312, CAS 315, CAS 325A & CAS 325B, or PSYC 361,||Can be taken at a community college|
|2. Introduction to Elementary Classroom Teaching||EDEL 315||Can be taken at a community college|
|3. Cultural Pluralism in Elementary Schools||EDEL 325||Must be taken at 4-year university|
|4. Ethnic Studies||AFAM/ASAM/CHIC/HIST 190, AFAM 103, AFAM 335, AFAM/ENGL 410, ASAM 201, ASAM 300, ASAM 308, CHIC 325, CHIC/READ 326, CHIC 331, CHIC 332, CHIC/READ 360 (current as of 9/1/22)||Ethnic Studies Information Page|
Prerequisite courses through the CSUF Extension Program
If you already finished an undergraduate degree, you can still take prerequisites at CSUF through CSUF’s Extension program, Open University . For instructions on enrollment, check Open University Enrollment
2(a). PREREQUISITES AT OTHER INSTITUTIONS
Our course equivalency chart shows courses at other institutions that have been determined to be equivalent to CSUF prerequisites. Courses must have been taken for a letter grade with a passing grade of "C-" or better. Pass/No Pass courses are not accepted. Equivalent courses must have been taken within 7 years of applying to the program.
1. MULTIPLE SUBJECT CREDENTIAL PROGRAM COURSE EQUIVALENCY CHART
Course Equivalency Chart (MSCP Prerequisites)
2. ETHNIC STUDIES COURSE EQUIVALENCY CHART
Approved Equivalent Courses at Another Institution
3. PETITIONS FOR COURSES THAT ARE NOT ON EQUIVALENCY CHARTS
Petitions will need to be submitted for courses that are 1) Not on the Course Equivalency Chart that may still satisfy the requirements, OR 2) On the chart but were taken over 8-10 years prior to applying to the program
Petition forms for each course can be found below. Petition decisions are released 4-6 weeks after the petition has been submitted.
3. ASSEMBLE YOUR APPLICATION
Review the application requirements and assemble all the required documents and forms. For a detailed listing of the required documents that must be submitted, please see Credential Program Application Requirements
4. SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION
All applicants must apply through Cal State Apply ! Please refer to our tip sheet for guidance on completing the CSU Apply package.
Application and supporting documents must be submitted by the MSCP application deadlines. Prerequisite courses may be in progress at time of application deadline, however, they must be complete before the start of the program.
5. FACULTY INTERVIEW
Once your application has been reviewed and determined to be complete, you will be scheduled for an interview with a faculty member. The purpose of the interview is to provide the appicant with an opportunity to demonstrate your aptitude for teaching in public schools as well as your written and spoken proficiency in English.
If you are an International Student, please be sure to seek advisement from International Student Services. International Student Services provides advising to international students on F or J status on immigration, personal, social and cultural matters.