The Specialist Credential is accredited by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing. Individuals wishing to pursue the Specialist Credential must make formal application to the University indicating the specific Specialist Credential program desired.
- READ 507 Reading and Thinking in the Content Areas (3)
- READ 508 Teaching Reading/Language Arts in Today's Elementary Schools (3)
- READ 511 Survey of Educational Research (3)
- READ 514 Linguistics and Reading (3)
- READ 516 Diagnostic-Prescriptive Teaching of Reading (3)
- READ 536 Curriculum Foundations, Principles, and Issues in Reading/Language Arts (3)
- READ 560 The Sociocultural Context of Literacy and Learning (3)
- READ 581 Remediation of Reading Difficulties (5)
- READ 585 Professional Development in Reading/Language Arts (3)
*For students entering the program in Fall 2012 or after. Students who entered previously should check their study plan and/or consult their advisor.
- Applicants seeking a California Reading Certificate or Reading/ Language Arts Specialist Credential must provide a CBEST card indicating that you have successfully completed this test, or verification that you have taken the test, prior to applying to the program. You must pass the CBEST to be granted the Certificate and/or Credential.
- Maintain an average Grade Point Average of 3.0 throughout the program, and prior to enrolling in READ 581.
- Earn a passing evaluation on the Writing Proficiency assignment completed in READ 514 (or complete an approved improvement plan).
- By program completion, submit 2 letters of recommendation from individuals familiar with your teaching expertise and 2 letters of recommendations from individuals familiar with your academic expertise (usually course professors). Recommendation forms are available in the Department office.
- By program completion, submit a Verification of Service form to document three years of successful teaching experience. Forms are available in the Department Office.
Advisement is available to all program candidates. Contact Office Assistant Shannon Wilson for an appointment for advisement: 657-278-3497 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Apply and gain admission to Cal State Fullerton
Head over to http://www.csumentor.com and start your admission process to Cal State Fullerton. Visit our Apply Now page for more detailed instructions on what information you'll need to apply to Cal State Fullerton.
- Baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution
- Grade point average of at least 3.0 in the last 60 semester units attempted (applicants with a GPA between 2.5 and 3.0 may be conditionally admitted)
- Good standing at the last college attended
- Approved undergraduate major
- California Single Subject or Multiple Subject teaching credential. (by completion of the program – Specialist Credential only*)
- Successful teaching experience at elementary, secondary or college levels, or other approved experience (by completion of the program – Specialist Credential only*)
Frequently Asked Questions
Still have additional questions? We've assembled future students' most common questions in our FAQ page: visit our FAQ page here.