M.S. in Education with a Concentration in Literacy & Reading
Our national- and state-accredited Masters in Education with a concentration in Literacy and Reading Education program opens the door to a variety of career opportunities. We invite you to be a part of a cohort, build a strong support network, learn up-to-the-minute research and practice, and equip yourself to serve as a professional literacy leader.
Our graduates have found professional success and personal reward as a:
- private clinician
- reading coach/specialist
- district literacy specialist
- teacher trainer
- literacy coordinator
- community college professor
- literacy specialist in publishing and industry
Candidates earn their MS in Literacy and Reading Education and complete coursework for advanced certifications from CTC (Reading and Literacy Added Authorization and Literacy and Reading Specialist Credential) in a 30 unit program. Courses can be completed by attending fully online classes.
- READ 508, Foundations of Literacy: Teaching and Learning (3)
- READ 514, Linguistics and Literacy Education (3)
- READ 507, Literacy in the Academic Disciplines (3)
- READ 536, Literacy Curriculum: Design, Implementation and Evaluation (3)
- READ 511, Research in Reading and Literacy Education (3)
- READ 516, Literacy Assessment and Analysis for Instruction (3)
- READ 560, The Sociocultural Context of Language and Literacy for English Learners (3)
- READ 585, Roles of the Literacy Leader/Specialist (3)
- READ 581, Strategic Interventions for Literacy Specialists: Practicum (5)
- READ 597- Project (1-3) or READ 595 - Thesis (1-3)
For more information on coursework, please consult the section in the University Catalog .
For information on applying to the MS in Literacy and Reading Education, please visit the MS in Literacy and Reading Education Admissions page.
We are now accepting applications for our Fall 2019 fully-online cohort! Space is limited, so please submit your application materials by our July 15, 2019 deadline!