Dr. Bowers is an Assistant Professor and Chair of the Department of Literacy and Reading Education in the College of Education and the Director of the CSUF Hazel Miller Croy Reading Center. She joined the faculty in the fall of 2006 after completing her Ed.D. in Literacy and Language at the University of Southern California. Her research agenda includes academic language, English language learners, struggling readers and assessment practices. She has over 10 publications including a book entitled, “Building Academic Language through Content Area Texts: Strategies to Support English Language Learners.” Prior to her work at CSUF, Dr. Bowers was an elementary school teacher, district trainer and Reading Specialist.
Education and Experience
- 2006 Ed.D. Literacy and Language, University of Southern California
- 1994 M.A. Curriculum and Instruction, California State University, Dominguez Hills
- 2002 Professional Clear Specialist Instruction: Reading and Language Arts
- 1993 Clear California Multiple Subject Teaching Credential
- 2006 Faculty, Department of Literacy and Reading, Chair (SP2013)
- 2009 Director, CSUF Hazel Miller Croy Reading Center
- 1998 Teacher, Lead District Trainer, Long Beach Unified School District
- 1995 Classroom Teacher, Los Angeles Unified School District
- 1990 Teacher, Archdiocese of Los Angeles
Select Scholarly and Creative Activities
- Kirtman, L., Bowers, E., & Hoffman, J., (2016). Engaged Scholarship: (Re)Focusing on Our Mission. Metropolitan Universities Journal, 27(2).
- Fitts, S., Bowers, E., & Keisler, L. (2016). Writing Instruction for English learners: Examining Instructional Practices in Elementary School Classrooms. NABE Journal of Research and Practice, 7(1).
- Unrau, N., Ragusa, G., & Bowers, E. (2013). Teachers focus on motivation for reading: “It’s All About Knowing the Relationship”. Reading Psychology.
- Keisler, L. & Bowers, E. (2012). Beyond vocabulary: Focusing the lens on academic language. The California Reader, 45(3), 19-23.
- Bowers, E., Laster, B.P., Gurvitz, D., Ryan, T. Cobb, J., & Vazzano, J. (accepted, 2015). Video for teacher reflection: Reading clinics in action. In J. Brandenburg, K. Glasswell, M. Jones, & J. Ryan (Eds.), Reflective theories in teacher education practice. New York, NY: Springer Publishing.
- Fitts, S. & Bowers, E. (2013). Developing academic English with English language learners: A study of mainstream classroom practices. In M. B. Arias & C. J. Faltis, Academic language in second language learning. Scottsdale, AZ: Information Age Publishing.
- Bowers, E., Manzo, U., Tarantine, A., & Base, M. (2013). Providing a “Pocket Tutor”: enhancing metacognition through podcasted comprehension prompts. In E. T. Ortlieb & E. H. Cheek, Jr. (Eds.) Advanced Literacy Practices (Literacy Research, Practice and Evaluation, Volume 2) (pp. 265-281). Bingley, UK: Emerald Group Publishing Limited
- Bowers, E. & Glasswell, K. (2016). Summer College for Kids, Orange Unified School District (2016), ($36,000)
Professional Service and Community Engagement
- Summer College for Kids, Orange Unified School District (2016)
- Sycamore Summer Camp, Orange Unified School District (2015)
- Vice President, California Reading Association (CRA) (2016-present).
- ILA State Coordinator, California Reading Association (CRA) (2015-present, 3 year appointment).
- Area Director, California Reading Association (CRA) (2011-2014, 3 year appointment).