Kathryn Bartle Angus is a Lecturer and Undergraduate Program Coordinator in the Department of Literacy and Reading Education. She also is the Associate Director of the Hazel Miller Croy Reading Center. Kathryn joined the Department in 1984 as a part time instructor and moved to full time in 1999. Kathryn’s primary scholarly interests are in critical thinking and critical literacy, post-secondary retention and student success, and early college programs. Over the last 20 years she has worked with graduate students who aspire to careers in the community colleges. She is active in the College Reading and Learning Association (CRLA) (http://crla.net/) serving in leadership positions and making frequent presentations on college reading. She is the co-author of the CRLA position paper, Rights of Adult Readers and Learners. Kathryn teaches General Education courses in critical thinking, community involvement and lifelong learning and success courses for science and mathematics majors.
- M.S. Education, with a specialization in Reading, California State University, Fullerton
- California Reading Specialist Credential
- California Multiple Subject Credential
- B.S. Liberal Studies, San Diego State University
Select Scholarly and Creative Activities
- Angus, K.B. and Greenbaum, J. (2003). Position Statement on Rights of Adult Readers and Learners. Journal of College Reading and Learning, 33, p. 122-130.
- Spencer, B. and Angus, K. B. (2000). The presentation assignment: creating learning opportunities for diverse student populations. Journal of College Reading and Learning, 30, 182-194.
- Angus, K.B., Bowers, E., and Biggs, B. (November, 2015). Innovative Adaptations of Literacy Courses to Increase Success of STEM Students: Paper to be presented at College Reading and Learning Association, Portland.
- Angus, K.B., Bowers, E., Bagwell, J. and Henderson, A. (November, 2013). A Marriage of Convenience and Passion: A University and Community College Collaboration to Meet Community Needs. Paper presented at College Reading and Learning Association, Boston.
- Angus, K.B. and Provenzano, M. (November, 2011), Mirror, Mirror on the Wall, Let’s Encourage Reflection for All. Paper presented at College Reading and Learning Association, San Diego.
- Angus, K.B., Henderson, A., and Bryant, J. (October, 2009). College Readiness Standards for Reading. Paper presented at College Reading and Learning Association, Richmond.
- Angus, K.B. and Greenbaum, J. (October, 2009). Critical Thinking/Reading in the Traditional and Online Classrooms. Paper presented at College Reading and Learning Association, Richmond.
Select Professional Service and Community Engagement
- Early College Program at Buena Park High School, Coordinator
- ASCEND STEM Grant Management Team
- Faculty Advisor Reading Educators Guild
- Workshop presenter (Critical Reading, Thinking and Writing) for visiting international faculty and teachers