Program at a Glance
The Master of Science in Instructional Design and Technology degree is a 30-unit program. This is a part time program and students enroll in two courses each semester. While earning an M.S. degree, students also earn two Instructional Design certificates. The MSIDT program is in a cohort model and includes:
- 5 semesters of part time (6-units per semester)
- 10 graduate courses
- 100% online
- 2 Instructional Design Certificates
The MSIDT degree is designed to meet the needs of individuals seeking to advance their knowledge of instructional design research and improve their skill level. The program is designed to meet the needs of those employed by businesses and corporations, the military, technology industries, instructional design companies, software consultants and designers, educators (K-12 and higher education) and those working with curriculum development and training in e-learning.
Our program is designed sequentially, and course content reinforces prior content knowledge taught in each course. Students learn to implement research theory into practical application. See our Master's Program page for more information.
Graduate Course Requirements
- IDT 505 | Foundations of Instructional Design and Digital Authoring Tools
- IDT 510 | Research Practices in Instructional Design and Technology
- IDT 520 | Issues in ELearning and the Design Process
- IDT 525 | Learning Theories for Postsecondary and Adult Instructional Settings
- IDT 530 | Advanced Issues in Implementation, Management, and Program Evaluation
- IDT 535 | Instructional Strategies and Universal Design Issues in Learning Environments
- IDT 540 | Systematic Approaches to Digital Design and Development
- IDT 545 | Trends, Emerging Technologies, and Issues in Instructional Design
- IDT 550 | Research Practicum
- IDT 597 | Digital Instructional Product Design and Development
The MSIDT program requires a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university, a minimum 2.5 GPA, a submitted application at Cal State Apply, resume, and personal statement. No GRE is required.
Instructional Design Certificates
We offer two instructional design certificates to support the foundation of instructional design and technology. The courses are the same courses that are offered in the MSIDT degree program. Many students begin their education by completing the certificate requirements, then transfer to the Master’s degree.
Certificate Level 1
- Three required courses
- IDT 505
- IDT 520
- IDT 530
- All courses are transferrable to the MSIDT program
Certificate Level 2
- Five required courses
- IDT 505
- IDT 520
- IDT 530
- IDT 540
- IDT 545
See our Certificate Program page for more information.
We offer two fully online programs: a Master of Science and a Certificate.
Master of Science
The Master of Science (M.S.) is a two-year program that combines theory and research with hands-on design and development using educational technology. The M.S. program culminates in a master’s project, where students research, design, develop, and test an interactive multimedia instructional product.
In conjuction with earning their master's degree, our students also earn two instructional design certificates. The skills learned in both our programs prepares graduates for entry into the instructional design career as well as makes them marketable to companies. Earning your certificates requires no extra work or fees!
INSTRUCTIONAL DESIGN Certificate
The ID Certificate program offers a Level 1 (three courses) and a Level 2 ID Certificate (Level 1 Certificate + two courses). Both certificate levels focus on design and development of online learning experiences, and the courses taken in this program are fully transferable to the Master of Science.