The M.S. in Education with a Concentration in Higher Education is designed to prepare entry-level professionals and career changers to assume professional roles that support student learning and development. Graduates of this program might work in offices such as orientation, housing, residential life, TRIO, minority and international affairs, financial aid, academic advising, alumni relations and similar college or university offices.
Faculty at California State University, Fullerton, along with consulting practitioners, have built the higher education emphasis of the M.S. in Education program around five core learning domains: 1.) leadership, 2.) social justice and advocacy, 3.) education, 4.) assessment and evaluation, and 5.) personal and professional development.
Future students interested in knowing what you can expect from coursework and other program elements, please visit our Courses page.
The program hosts a number of activities and programs to complement the classroom experience. Some of these programs are hosted by us and others are done in conjunction with sister institutions in the region. Click here for a list of activities that are held annually.
The Higher Education Leadership Organization (HELO) is the student professional association of the MSHE program. HELO provides activities to support student learning and development including social and cultural events. Through HELO, students spend time with each other socially, learn with each other outside of the classroom, and participate in professional development and networking activities.
Students have the opportunity to serve as graduate assistants while enrolled in the Master’s program. Graduate Assistants work under the supervision of professionals in the field and learn in a supportive work environment while attending classes. Assistantships range from 10 to 20 hours a week. You must be accepted into the program to be considered for graduate assistantships.
* Admission Application Deadline for Fall 2017 is February 1st
- CSU standards for admission to MS which includes a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution of higher education
- Demonstrated educational leadership potential and skills including successful experience in school, college, or the community
- Demonstrated academic excellence, problem-solving ability, and an interest in higher education leadership, students, administration or advocacy
- Written statement of purpose
- Professional resume
- 3 Letters of Recommendation
- Official copies of all transcripts from all universities and colleges attended. In addition to requesting official transcripts for the Admissions Office, please also send transcripts (unofficial is fine) to the Department of Educational Leadership.
Submit your Application Documents
- Start your admission process to Cal State Fullerton by applying to CSU Mentor at http://www.csumentor.com.
- Visit our Apply Now page for detailed information on the documents you'll need to gather and submit.
- Must send official transcripts to:
Admissions and Records
P.O. Box 6900
Fullerton, CA 92834-6900
- Must send unofficial transcripts and Supplemental material to:
Educational Leadership Department
P.O. Box 6868
Fullerton, CA 92834-6868
Frequently Asked Questions and Information Meetings
Still have more questions? Our Information Meetings provide a great way to interact with representatives from our program. You can find our upcoming info session dates here.
For more information online, we've also assembled our most frequently asked questions. Visit our FAQ page for more information.
For more information contact the Educational Leadership Department at 657-278-4023, or Dr. Rebecca Gutierrez Keeton, - Program Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Also, we highly encourage you to submit our online Interest Form.