The Summer STEM Institute is a 7-week summer program that provides dual enrollment in CSU Science for Educators courses to Careers in Education (CIE) future teacher students from Santiago Canyon College, Santa Ana College, and Fullerton College. This unique learning experience allows students to strengthen learning in the sciences, construct knowledge for teaching, receive training in thematic-based STEM lessons, and engage in experiential learning opportunities by teaching science lessons to youth in After School/Out of School programs throughout Orange County.
The mission of the Summer STEM Institute is to engage community college students in an authentic and holistic elementary science educators’ experience at Cal State Fullerton, providing academic and experiential learning experiences to students that strengthens their instructional science and math skills and increase academic and pedagogical success. In this student-centered program, students become better prepared for a smooth and efficient transition to post-secondary education and encourages students to pursue a teaching credential.
- Biology 102
- Chemistry 102
- Geology 102
Training & Teaching Experience
- Learn instructional methods with CSUF faculty
- Receive science lesson training with JPL/NASA educator
- Gain teaching experience at a selected local summer youth program
- Free academic support: tutoring, academic counseling on site
- Free science course at CSUF
- 3 transferable units
- Free tutoring & academic advising
- Materials and textbooks provided
- Parking permit/bus pass provided
- Get paid while gaining teaching experience
- Titan Tender for food/bookstore purchases
- Attend field trip to Pasadena’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL)/NASA
- Job opportunities in after-school programs
Interested in applying?