Kathryn Bartle Angus, Director
Joanne Chapman, Associate Director
Our teachers and tutors are literacy specialists or graduate students completing their final semester in the Master's Degree in Education, with a concentration in Literacy and Reading Education and/or a Reading and Literacy Leadership Specialist Credential. Our camp staff includes credentialed teachers and undergraduate student volunteers.
Our mission is to:
- provide expert reading assessment and education assessment to school-age children in the community;
- provide teacher education to increase the ability of educators to impact their students;
- provide a model center with research based instruction, assessment, and technology;
- advance the professional knowledge base related to literacy development and instruction;
- provide opportunities for alumni literacy and reading specialists to serve the community and further their own professional development;
- develop opportunities to collaborate with school districts and other community organizations to further reading and literacy education county wide.
Our Leadership Council serves as an integral component of the organizational structure and includes community sponsors, educational leaders, faculty, and staff of the Reading Center. The Leadership Council members serve as advisers, supporters, ambassadors, and community liaisons.
Council members for 2019 - 2022 pictured below are (from top row, left to right) Linda Vander Wende, Diorah Ortiz, Candace Dickerson, Joyce Gomez-Najarro, Justin Nguyen, Kathryn Bartle Angus, Jackie Romo, and (from bottom row, left to right) Joanne Chapman, Mary-Louise Hlavac, Lisa Miller (guest), and Shannon Wilson. Not pictured are Erica Bowers, Kathleen Carson, Sara DeLand, and Maureen Provenzano.
- Center for Careers in Teaching
- Center for Healthy Neighborhoods
- Department of Literacy and Reading Education
- Department of Child and Adolescent Studies
- Orange County Reading Association
- Osher Lifelong Learning Experience
- Reading Educators Guild