Admission Process for the Master's Program
Master's Program Requirements
- Four-Year bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution.
- GPA of 3.0 in last 60 units. The application review process allows us to consider experiences, attributes and other academic metrics as well as the value an applicant would contribute to learning and teaching.
- Teaching Credential is not required to apply to the Master’s Program.
- The Graduate Program in Special Education does NOT require GRE scores.
- Submit the university application through the CalStateApply website.
- Transcripts for ALL colleges and universities attended
a. Official, sealed transcripts to Office of Admissions from ALL community colleges and universities you have attended. (Required for new and returning CSUF students). You can visit the Office of Admissions website for more information on how to submit transcripts to the Office of Admissions.
b. Upload Official transcripts from your Last 60 Units to the Cal State Apply application. If you have previously attended CSUF, you will also need to upload official CSUF transcripts to the Cal State apply application. Transcripts should be mailed or emailed to the student, then uploaded to the Cal State Apply application.
- (3) Confidential University Faculty Recommendations, using our template.
- Upload Certificate of Clearance (2 parts) Live Scan and Online Application OR Valid Teaching Credential to the Cal State Apply application.
- 3.0 GPA in the last 60 units. The application review process allows us to consider experiences, attributes and other academic metrics as well as the value an applicant would contribute to learning and teaching. If you do not currently meet the minimum GPA requirements, we still encourage you to submit an application.
For Additional questions about the application process, please refer to the SPED Master's Checklist .
- Pay the $70 Cal State Apply application fee.
- Submit Official transcripts from ALL colleges and universities attended to the Office of Admissions.
- Official, sealed transcripts need to be sent to the Office of Admissions from ALL community colleges and universities you have attended. (Note: CSUF transcripts are NOT needed by the Office of Admissions, but ARE needed by the SPED Department and must be uploaded to the Cal State Apply website).
- Transcripts can be mailed or emailed to the Office of Admissions. More information on how to submit transcripts to the Office of Admissions can be found here.
Master's Application Deadline
Fall - March 31st
Scholarship Opportunity Available for Fall 2023 Candidates
SPED MSE Scholarship Opportunity
Application Review Timeline
- Your application is not complete until all transcripts have been received, reviewed, and entered into the system by the Office of Admissions.
- Once the Admission evaluator reviews your application and you meet the university’s GPA requirement, they will send your application to the SPED Department for review.
- An entrance interview needs to be completed prior to a final admission decision being made.
- The Department of Special Education will notify applicants regarding the status of their application approximately 2 weeks after the deadline via email.
- If accepted, the Office of Admissions will send an acceptance offer by email. This email will also provide instructions on how to accept the offer and pay the acceptance deposit. Additionally, the Department of Special Education will email you with information regarding registration and the pre-requisite course (SPED 501) that is designed to orient incoming graduate students to the program.
For questions, please contact:
SPED Admissions Coordinator
SPED Admissions Assistant