- Kristen Shand, Ph.D., Department of Secondary Education, CP 600-8.
Scope of Credential (What will I be able to teach when I earn the credential?)
The Single Subject Teaching Credential in Social Science authorizes an individual to teach intermediate and secondary level history and social science classes. The holders of this credential may teach history and social science classes in grades six through twelve. Courses include United States history, world history, government and civics, economics, geography, other social sciences, and social studies classes.
Subject Matter Preparation Program
You may establish Subject Matter Competency through successful completion of the required courses in the Subject Matter Preparation Program (SMPP) in Social Science.
California Subject Examinations for Teachers
You may also establish Subject Matter Competency through successful passage of Content Subject Examinations for Teachers (CSETs). Three subtests are required:
- #114 Subtest I Social Science World History; Geography
- #115 Subtest II Social Science U.S. History; Geography
- #116 Subtest III Social Science Civics; Economics; California History
- College of Education
- Department of Secondary Education
- Single Subject Credential Program
- California K-12 Social Studies Education
- Professional Organizations