Principles of Developmentally Appropriate and Content Specific Pedagogy
- You will demonstrate your knowledge of principles of content-specific pedagogy and developmentally appropriate pedagogy. Currently, there are seventeen (18) subject-specific versions of this task. You will complete one version to be determined by your credential content area.
- Each version has four scenarios. They address developmentally appropriate pedagogy, assessment practices, adaptation of content for English learners, and adaptation of content for students with special needs. You will respond in writing to each of the four scenarios.
- You will submit your completed response.
The California Teaching Performance Assessment (CA TPA) tasks are designed to measure aspects of the TPE’s and to reflect what beginning teachers should know and be able to do before receiving a Preliminary Credential. The CCTC, ETS, and professional teacher educators from California teacher preparation programs designed and tested a pilot and a field review version of the four performance tasks to ensure that the final CA TPA tasks are fair and equitable for all preliminary credential candidates. There are four inter-related yet separate tasks that increase in complexity as you move through them. They were designed with a specific sequence in mind. As the tasks increase in complexity, there are more choices and decisions to make about how to respond to the prompts. Each performance task measures aspects of a number of TPE’s, and many TPE’s are measured in more than one task.
Subject-Specific Pedagogy Task
WHAT IS BEING MEASURED
The following six Teaching Performance Expectations are measured in this task:
- Making Subject Matter Comprehensible to Students
- Assessing Student Learning
- Engaging and Supporting Students in Learning
- Planning Instruction and Designing Learning Experiences for Students
- Please refer to the California CTC: Teaching Performance Assessment Materials to download the latest versions of the tasks.
Directions for Subject-Specific Pedagogy Task: Principles of Content-Specific and Developmentally Appropriate Pedagogy
Developmentally Appropriate Pedagogy
|Case 2 Assessment Practices||
Adaptation of Content–Specific Pedagogy for English Learners
Adaptation of Content–Specific Pedagogy for Students with Special Needs
|After Completing Your Response||