The California Reading Certificate authorizes the holder to provide the following services to students at one or more school sites, at grade levels authorized by an approved prerequisite credential:
1. Develop and implement reading curriculum
2. Adapt reading content curriculum
3. Assist classroom teachers in these areas
Course Requirements* (total of 15 units)
- READ 507 Literacy in the Academic Disciplines (3)
- READ 508 Foundations of Literacy: Teaching and Learning (3)
- READ 514 Linguistics and Literacy Education (3)
- READ 516 Literacy Assessment and Analysis for Instruction (3)
- READ 536 Literacy Curriculum: Design, Implementation and Evaluation (3)
*For students entering the program in Fall 2012 or after. Students who entered previously should check their study plan and/or consult their advisor.
- By program completion, three years of successful full-time teaching experience in any grade preschool through adult, exclusive of student teaching, internship teaching, or teaching while holding an emergency permit.
- By program completion, submit a Verification of Service form to document three years of successful full-time teaching experience in any grade preschool through adult, exclusive of student teaching, internship teaching, or teaching while holding an emergency permit. Verification of Service forms are available in the Department Office.
- Candidates wishing to apply Certificate coursework toward the Masters and/or Reading and Literacy Leadership Specialist Credential must maintain a Grade Point Average of 3.0.
Advisement is available to all program candidates. Contact Graduate Advisor, Dr. Rosario Ordonez-Jasis, email@example.com, to schedule an on campus or telephone appointment or contact the Department of Reading Office Coordinator, Shannon Wilson, for assistance, (657) 278-3497, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Apply and gain admission to Cal State Fullerton
Head over to http://www.csumentor.com and start your admission process to Cal State Fullerton. Visit our Apply Now page for more detailed instructions on what information you'll need to apply to Cal State Fullerton.
- Baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution
- Grade point average of at least 3.0 cumulative or last 60 semester units (applicants with a GPA between 2.5 and 3.0 may be conditionally admitted)
- Good standing at the last college attended
- Approved undergraduate major
- California Single Subject, Multiple Subject or Special Education teaching credential (by completion of the program – Reading Certificate and Specialist Credential only*).
- Successful teaching experience at elementary and secondary levels, or other approved experience (by completion of the program – Reading Certificate and Specialist Credential only*)
Frequently Asked Questions
Still have additional questions? We've assembled future students' most common questions in our FAQ page: visit our FAQ page here.