JoAnne Greenbaum is a lecturer in the Department of Literacy and Reading Education. JoAnne joined the department in 1995. Ms. Greenbaum teaches both graduate and undergraduate classes. Her undergraduate teaching focuses on the general education course Read 290: Critical Reading, Thinking and Literacy. She has successfully developed the online version of this course, which is now offered each semester. Ms. Greenbaum also serves as coordinator of the online Post secondary Reading and Learning (PRL) certificate program and teaches Read 507: Literacy in the Academic Disciplines in the PRL program.
JoAnne is the co-author of the CRLA position statement, The Rights of Adult Readers and Learners, published in the Journal of College Reading and Learning. She has also made numerous presentations at the College Reading and Learning Association’s annual conferences. Her presentations and research interests have focused on the topics of critical thinking and reading, as well as, online teaching and learning. JoAnne has been recognized at the CSU system level for quality online teaching and learning.
- M.S. Education, with a specialization in Reading, California State University, Fullerton
- California Reading Specialist Credential
- California Multiple Subject Credential
- B.S. Liberal Studies, Long Beach State University
Select Scholarly and Creative Activities
- Angus, K. B., Greenbaum, J. (2003). Position statement on rights of adult readers and learners.
Journal of College Reading and Learning, 33, 122-130.
- Greenbaum, J., Hannah, V (2011, November) Using Technology in a Literacy Classroom to Promote Student Engagement, Paper Presented at the annual College Reading and Learning Association Conference, San Diego, California.
- Greenbaum, J., Bartle Angus, K (2009, November) Critical Thinking/Reading in the Traditional and Online Classrooms, Paper Presented at the annual College Reading and Learning Association Conference, Richmond, Virginia.
- Greenbaum, J., Bower, P., Agee, K. (2007, November) The Great Debates in College Reading Instruction, Paper Presented at the annual College Reading and Learning Association Conference, Portland, Oregon.
- Bartle Angus, K., Greenbaum, J. (2007, November) Reading! Thinking! Learning! Presented at the annual College Reading and Learning Association Conference, Portland, Oregon.
- Carter-Wells, J. & Greenbaum, J. (2013, August) Online Teaching and Learning/Social and Student Engagement. Invited presentation for College of Education faculty retreat.
- Greenbaum, J (2011, March) Teaching in the Online Environment. Invited presentation for Reading Educators Guild.
- Greenbaum, J. (2007, August). Encouraging Critical Thinking in the Classroom. Invited presentation for CSUF Freshman Program faculty retreat.